Monday 14 September 2009

No pudding for me

"Right, can you clear away the plates please? Time for pudding!"

Daughter folds her arms, frowns and grunts her disapproval. "Don't want pudding."

I look at her, shocked. It's pudding (I've even planned it, rather than having a last-minute panic when I offer yoghurt or fruit). Her father and brother gasp, staring at her in amazement.

"But why? It's apple crumble."

More grunts. More sulking. More astonishment from father, mother and brother.

"Don't want pudding."

"But you like apple crumble. What's wrong?"

"No pudding." She is most emphatic.

Then she sits up straight, spreads out her arms as if she rules the world and declares:

"It's not pudding - it's dessert."

Ah, so that's ok then...

4 comments:

Dorset Dispatches said...

Pudding, only thing that is a hit in this house. Sigh. ps - still trying to place why I think I know your name. Did you do VSO? I'll get it in the end, and it will be someone totally different!

Catharine Withenay said...

Yep - pudding always a hit at ours too (well, dessert for the fussy one!)

Sorry - haven't done VSO. Lived in Zambia, knew others who did VSO but not me! York? Edinburgh? Cambridge? London? Newcastle? All possibilities...!

Working Mum said...

I've had the opposite in my house. I offered my daughter fruit or yoghurt for pudding and she said, "That's not pudding. Pudding comes with custard!"

Catharine Withenay said...

I'm the only one in our house who likes custard. In Zambia I had a tub I brought from the UK that was an occasional special treat!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...