Friday 8 January 2010

The snow


I know - we, as a nation, are talking of nothing else.

I was going to save the blog from it, until I heard that last night's coldest temperature in England (-16.4C ... approaching 0 Fahrenheit!) was recorded not more than a mile from my home. It is freezing here ... or, more accurately, worse than freezing!

The coldest room in the house is the kitchen. The one plus point I can say about night storage heaters is that our house is warm in the morning! However, there aren't any in the kitchen, and as we still survive with a single hob and a microwave oven there is little to warm the room up. The thermometer usually hovers around 17C, which is bearable but not enjoyable.

The snow outside is not so deep: maybe 3-4 inches fell on Tuesday. The school was only closed the one day and my husband is managing to commute into work, although he has abandoned taking the bike.

So, here are some snowy pictures from our garden, three days on from when the snow fell.

Some berries trying to peek their way through.


It takes a while now for the bath to empty, although the water is finding its own way by spraying a fountain across the path!


The apple tree is being remarkably resistant: it doesn't want to lose the fruit at all ...


... and my pig isn't very keen on eating them!

The milk on the doorstep is frozen in the morning, bursting out of the bottle, but thankfully it still makes an excellent hot chocolate to keep me toasty warm!

5 comments:

Ladybird World Mother said...

Frozen milk!! That is mad. I think I heard someone say its colder than the inside of the freezer... now that is COLD!! x

Hearth-mother said...

I can't get any colder. Very thankful that I am not a mile from the coldest reported temperature!

Muddling Along said...

Brrrr frozen milk - at least they're delivering, only our intrepid postman is making it up to ours

cheshire wife said...

Even when the temperature is not sub-zero we don't get milk delivered here and the post man hasn't been seen since Tuesday morning! At least that means no bills!

Hadriana's Treasures said...

Gosh 17C..I'd be chilly. Hope you can get really warm with your hot chocolate. I recommend - lots of blankets, thermal underwear, slippers you can heat up in the microwave and hot water bottles.

Stay warm and toasty - Catharine!

I say this and our LPG (Liquid Propane Gas) may well be running out. Grandpa South is marooned here and we have the heating on full blast for him! Hxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...